university education and its relevance

If I had the mind that I have today in terms of knowing what I want to do, and what knowledge and tools I need a few years ago, I would not have enrolled in the university.


 Apart from the knowledge itself, which might or might not be used later on, passing all those years studying will teach how to gather, analyze and present information.









Giving  a framework, to build on. The university will give you that, but I don’t think that a person that starts working straight out of high school would lose that. He would also learn how to gather, analyze and present information, and he would also gain a framework, but those would come from real working experience rather than from theoretical classes and lectures.


As you can see I am not arguing that you don’t need to go to the university because you will learn everything working. You will still need to study and go through the pain of learning and improving yourself. The only difference is that if you do this on your own you will be able to focus on the competencies and attitudes that you know you need to develop.

The knowledge that a university will give you is available for everyone, anywhere in the world. Sure, there is a difference between knowledge and information. but with the right motivation and some help from other people even a kid  can absorb the information available online and transform it into knowledge.

Comments

Popular Posts